Since March 2022, the Japanese Political Science Association has moved its membership application process online. Please read the following statement and apply using the Japanese Political Science Association Online Membership Form link below.
- You will be asked to provide personal information, such as your name and affiliation, on the online admission form. You will also be asked to select whether or not that information can be made available to other members through “My Page”. After you become a member, you can change your registered personal information from “My Page”.
- Graduate students enrolled in a master’s or doctoral program (excluding JSPS Research Fellows) are eligible for student membership, while all other members are eligible for general membership.
- To rejoin JPSA after your membership has lapsed, you must pay any outstanding membership fees in advance. For details, please refer to the FAQ page.
- You will need recommendations from two current members of JPSA. The Secretariat will not be able to provide introductions. Please ask your recommenders for approval and enter their names and e-mail addresses in the online membership form. An email notification will be sent to the two recommenders after your application is submitted.
- The Board of Directors meets four times yearly (in principle, in June, October, December, and March) to review membership applications. To be considered for membership, applicants must demonstrate a background in political science research and be recommended by two members.
- The Secretariat will check that the application is complete and that the nomination has the approval of two recommenders. As we allow one week for the confirmation of recommendations, membership applications should, in principle, be submitted at least one week before the next Board meeting. Please be aware that applications made after this time will be considered for approval at the following Board meeting.
- Those whose membership has been approved by the Board of Directors will be notified promptly. They will also be invoiced for their first year’s membership fee at the same time. The general membership fee is 10000 yen, and the student membership fee is 5000 yen. In the unlikely event that the Board of Directors does not approve your application, we will inform you as soon as possible.
- Membership will be activated immediately after approval by the Board of Directors. However, the membership of those approved by the Board of Directors in March becomes active from April 2nd, and their first year’s membership fee also becomes payable from April.