The Japanese Political Science Association is pleased to provide travel grants for overseas conference presentations for Fiscal Year (FY) 2024. We encourage all association members to apply.
Grant Details: The travel grant is designed for JPSA members who will be presenting their research at a political science conference held outside of Japan. The grant will provide financial support for airfare and other public transportation expenses. The maximum amount of the grant is 100,000 yen.
Number of Awards: 4 (approximate)
Eligibility: Applicants must meet all of the following conditions:
1) Be a member of the Japanese Political Science Association at the time of application and have paid the association fees up to FY2023 by the application deadline.
2) Applicants living overseas must have a bank account in their own name at a financial institution in Japan.
3) Plan to participate and present research in a political science conference held outside Japan between March 1, 2024, and January 31, 2025.
Application Method: Please submit the following information as an attachment in Word or PDF format via email, with the subject line “Application for JPSA Travel Grant”:
- Affiliation and title (If you are a researcher with the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, please state so)
- For graduate students, the academic year you entered the doctoral program
- Contact information (email address) and current residence (if outside Japan, please include the country name)
- Name, location, and schedule of the conference you plan to attend
- Title of your presentation (provisional titles are acceptable)
- Abstract of your presentation (either already submitted or in preparation)
- Application status (select one: acceptance notification received, applied, planning to apply) and, if the acceptance notification has not been received, the expected period for notification of acceptance or rejection
Deadline: February 29, 2024 (Thursday)
Selection Criteria: In the event of numerous applications, priority will be given to those with a higher need for funding, such as students enrolled in graduate programs or those not in full-time employment.
Please note that if you plan to present at more than one overseas conference during the period, up to two presentations may be listed. If the applicant is selected for assistance, only one of the presentations listed in the application will be eligible for support. Assistance for presentations not listed in the application will not be granted, even if the presentation is at an overseas conference.
Notification of Results: The selection committee, led by the International Exchange Committee, will review applications and notify selected individuals by mid-March. The grant will be transferred after the conference presentation, upon submission of necessary documents (see the Instructions below). Please note that the cost of airfare and other transportation expenses eligible for support will need to be initially covered by the applicants themselves.
Instructions for Awardees: The travel grant will be transferred to the designated bank account upon submission of the following documents. These should be submitted as soon as possible after returning to Japan.
(1) Transfer Request / Instruction Form (provided to awardees by JPSA)
(2) Conference program (URL or scanned PDF of the program section listing the presenter’s name and title)
(3) Air ticket receipts and boarding pass stubs (scanned documents or electronic files are sufficient). Support is granted for public transportation without proof of expenses.
Application/Inquiry Contact: JPSA International Exchange Committee (国際交流委員会)
(Please replace the ◯ with @ before sending)
Mie OBA (Chair, International Exchange Committee)